Saturday, July 08, 2006

Beach Treasures



Most of the beaches we visited in Maine were sandy and rocky which made for interesting beach-combing. That whole area of the coast is filled with lobster traps so there are many parts and pieces of those that wash ashore during high tide - pieces of the colorful nylon rope that they use, for instance, and I saw any number of complete lobster traps that had crashed up onto the beach, stranded forever in the sand and rocks. When we were on Monhegan Island for the day, we picked up a lot of broken bits of glass on the rocky beach looking out towards Manana Island (some legitimately washed up, some newer ... but all pretty). In my estimation, some of the best mementos of a trip are the little things that you find along the way, not the things you buy in a gift shop or store.

I had a wonderful time wandering the beach while the girls played in the surf or laid in the sun (yes, there were 2 sunny days out of 9) and Chris used his metal detector. I know I sound like some old fuddy-duddy when I ramble on about things like this, but honestly, the best things in life are free and right at your finger tips, if you just look around. I loved seeing all the pieces of nylon rope as I walked, and I kept thinking I could do something with them when I got home ... didn't know what, exactly, but I finally started picking them up when I saw them buried in the sand or caught on the rocks. Very quickly I had a big handful of this colorful rope, and yes, I did bring it home. ***Martha Stewart alert *** I soaked it in a bucket, rinsed it off and laid it in the sun to dry. Today Kelly and I went to a crazy fun place called The Glass Barn and bought some inexpensive jars and containers, and I coiled all my pieces of rope into a nifty glass jar. I love it! I guess I'll keep it out on the back deck with all my other beach souvenirs - it's so colorful and will always remind me of my peaceful walks on Scarborough Beach.



Fortunately I have a husband who's a good sport and puts up with my crazy whims. He made my day when he spotted this stray buoy up on the rocks on Monhegan and hiked out to get it. He confirmed with one of the locals that it didn't belong to any of the Monhegan lobstermen, so we brought it back on the ferry when we came home later in the day. There's also a plain white one (off to the side) that he found out at Marshall Light while we were walking on the rocks early in the morning. (Ah, that would be the day that I fell face-first into a tidal pool when I lost my footing and got completely soaked, head to toe. That's a story for another day.)

No comments: