Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Matthew My Son



My most wonderful son came into my world in July of 1986. This is part of a letter I wrote him prior to a retreat he was to go on during his senior year in high school.
"I can think of endless adjectives that describe you. You’re smart, good-looking, talented, creative, sensitive and a deep thinker. You’ve got the soul of a poet, and a mind that calculates, multiplies and imagines all sorts of things. You’ve got a hankering to be a musician, and the incredible skills it takes to be a computer whiz. You’re a Lego-Maniac, a pretty good poker player and a really good bowler. You’re a good friend to many, and the best buddy for your favorite feline, Beanie.

I can also think of many, many words that tell how I feel about you, my first child and the apple of my eye since you were born in 1986. You made me what I always wanted to be – a mother. Thank you for that!! I have fed you, diapered you, given you medicine, helped you to walk, then ride a bike. We read books together, played at the park and the zoo on countless sunny days – all the things that you and I loved to do. You’ve made me laugh, made me cry and you’ve kept me awake many nights. (Some things never change, do they?) You have changed me, helped me to grow as a person, and you have taught me many things – about patience, how to be a better listener, how to interpret body language, how to bite my tongue sometimes … and now you’re teaching me how to let go. You’re just about grown up, ready to go out on your own and it scares me to death. It’s time for you to help me grow some more – how to be the parent of a grown up, no longer “Mommy”, no longer the biggest influence in your life, but hopefully still a trusted ally and friend as you go through college.

My hope for you as you continue to grow to adulthood is that you love the people in your life with all your heart, that you find your passion and pursue it, and that you grow to be an outwardly focused young man, always reaching out to your family, friends and strangers, sharing your time and your talents. You have so many wonderful gifts to share!

Remember, I’m here to hold you close and love you unconditionally. I’m always ready for that big hug whenever you want to give one, and I always want to hear what’s going on in your life. I’m your Mommy forever! ~ XOXO ~ I love you!"
Matthew has taught me so much, and as it comes time to let go of him I'm worried, scared and happy for him all at once. I've done my best to be a good parent for 19 years, and I hope I've done it well. Go and be happy, Matt! And always wear your seat belt :)

No comments: