Friday, May 04, 2007

Too Much HGTV


Over the past couple of weekends I've dragged Chris into my grand plans for updating our back deck area. We've always enjoyed our backyard but I've been wanting to upgrade our look, so I've been scheming and dreaming, plotting and planning what I could do to give the deck a fresh start this spring. We started by removing all the stuff off the deck - and we do have a lot of stuff! - furniture, grills, gardening items, lawn chairs. It all went out in the grass while we scrubbed off the deck. We moved only the necessary items back when it dried, and came up with a new arrangement. We also headed over to SWM and bought a storage bench that looks much better than our old mismatched Rubbermaid tubs - very nice! - and splurged on a new glass-top table and 4 chairs at Lowe's.

I've re-painted a new "rug" on the floor, a medium blue with a dark brown border - easy to take care of, no vacuuming required. And I bought some inexpensive sheer curtains which we hung at the corners of the deck. The only projects left to do - repaint a couple of our garage-sale side tables a dark glossy brown to give them a new look, and sew a fabric skirt to cover the lower portion of my potting table (lots of gardening clutter under there).

It's amazing how different it feels in our outdoor room - our own little oasis! (Well, maybe that's a stretch ... but it's so fun to go out there now.)


No comments: