Thursday, June 22, 2006

I'm Still Around ...

Reports of my alien abduction have been greatly exaggerated. I'm really still on this Earth, struggling to balance all the people and pets in my life, becoming more and more convinced that there is simply not a way to achieve a balanced life while working full-time. It just cannot be done. Everybody wants a piece of my time and attention, there are literally dozens of things that need to be done around the house that just never get done, and I'm hating the way that feels. I'm at a point where I'm mentally throwing up my hands and saying "I quit!" and I acknowledge that I cannot be everything to everybody, and I cannot do everything for everybody, and I can barely keep myself going day after day. So there. I said, I mean it. Something's gotta give because I have no time for me, for the things I love to do and the things that are truly important in this life. What's the answer? Anyone who knows, please respond!
On a brighter note, we leave for a vacation in Maine tomorrow morning, most likely at the crack of dawn. My husband tends to be a restless sleeper even on a good night, and when he's anticipating a long day of driving and exicited about going to Maine .... well, he'll probably wake up a 4 or 5 a.m. and not be able to go back to sleep. Which means we'll all wake up long enough to load into the van and be on our way in the wee hours of the morning. Kelly has invited her best friend and partner in crime to come with us - Shannon is much like Kelly, very creative, has a great sense of humor and is quite happy-go-lucky. They're going to have a blast!
While in Maine we'll go to friend Kevin's surprise birthday part, vist Great-Uncle George and cousin Rick in Westbrook. Then off to do lots of other fun things - old Portland, Freeport, a day trip out to Monhegan Island to visit the lighthouse and museum (where Chris' name is on a display that's a tribute to the Coast Guard Fog Signal keepers of the past) ... we'll visit Acadia National Park for a day, and drive over to New Hampshire to ride the Cog Railway up to Mt. Washington. Yahoo! I can't wait to get there! We're way overdue for a good long getaway and I hope it's as fun as it promises to be.
You'll hear from me when we return on July 1st - I swear I'm going to get caught up on news in July. Honest.

1 comment:

Gail at Large said...

Have a smooth and fun trip!

I'm hoping to visit Maine for the first time -- my brother and his brood (wife and five kids age 6 and under!) will be visiting his in-laws, and I'm thinking of doing the drive from Toronto to see them.